Saturday 25 August 2012

Mint and morbidity.

I have recently rediscovered libraries. Well perhaps, to be more specific, I have recently rediscovered the joy associated with libraries. I remember as a child, and an avid bookworm, visiting the library was one of my favourite activities. It was probably highly related to the library's delicious cool in a pre-widespread air conditioning world, but I remember heading excitedly to the children's section and choosing my fill for that month. 

The library lost some of its shine during my senior schooling and university years. No longer a place to escape the outside world, the library soon became associated with journal articles, never-ending group meetings and the hapless search for free computers. I very rarely read for pleasure and when I did, it seemed I never had the time or patience to read a book through to the end.


Watching some friends win their rugby semi-final this weekend. Go Bulls!

Since finishing university, I've reacquired weekends and acquired a Kindle. It's made for a good, if increasingly expensive, combination. A few weeks ago, I decided to venture into our local library after work. I'd never been into this particular library before, but it felt strangely familiar. Perhaps it is that slightly musty library smell, or the rows of titles just waiting to be read, but it instantly brought all those childhood memories to the fore. 

Unlike when I was younger, I now find it difficult to lose myself completely in the written word, but every now and then a novel comes along that simply encourages you to forget all your daily obligations and just embrace the couch. Unfortunately I haven't come across any such story for quite a while, but I did find I'm a believer by Jessica Adams worthy of a Sunday read last weekend. Although the premise of the book is quite sad, it's actually an endearing comedy revolving around one man's experience following the sudden death of his girlfriend. Our protagonist is Mark, a science teacher who shuns all things mystical, religious or just not based on good, solid fact. Mark's scientific groundings are put to the test however, when his girlfriend continues meddling in his life from beyond the grave. Though a relatively light read, this story still managed to raise some interesting questions about death, and the experiences of those left behind. Most religions promise good and happy things at the end of the road (if all goes to plan), but for the scientifically-minded among us, it's difficult to know just what to expect. 

In between pondering our mortality, I also managed to host a small BBQ for some friends last weekend. I decided to try out a few new recipes - this crunchy, nutty harissa chicken and couscous salad from What Katie Ate (which has been serving me well for leftover lunches this week), and



this deliciously different fresh mint pesto potato salad from The Forest Feast.



Although I am certifiably addicted to collecting fat recipe books, lately I've been finding inspiration from a number of different food blogs. I suspect it is usually the pretty photos which pull me in, although mine never end up looking quite like the picture! This week we also enjoyed my favourite homemade red Thai curry, but as usual it was demolished far too quickly for anyone to even contemplate taking a photo. 



Speaking of food, and books, and books about food, have you read anything interesting lately? Anything inspiring, different, humourous or moving? I'm always on the look out for that next great book so please feel free to share!







3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to your feelings on libraries! When I was a kid I LOVED our weekly trip to the local (air conditioned!) library. Our local one had a little cubby house in the kids section and I thought it was THE best thing ever, but during highschool and uni libraries somewhat lost their appeal. I have been meaning to join our local library for ages, so thanks for the reminder! And those recipes looks so yummy! Might have to give them a go. Loving your blog Jess :)

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Discovering your blog was one of the main reasons I was finally motivated to start my own - real, normal people!

      I'd highly recommend joining the library again, I'd forgotten how nice it is to get books for free (and not feel guilty about not finishing the ones you don't actually enjoy)! x

      Delete
  2. Love your work Jess (especially the food pics...)! I have also recently started reading a lot again lately and can highly recommend John Le Carre's spy novels if you like a bit of espionage. (Also a few of them are set in Berlin which I'm sure you'd like!) Keep writing; love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete